Moringa oleifera is the botanical name for the drumstick tree. Every part of the tree-leaves, flowers, and seeds-is packed with nutrition and can be used to cure health conditions. The leaves are steeped in water to make medicinal tea. The juice from the leaves has a stabilising effect on blood pressure and treats anxiety. The crushed seeds are antibacterial and antifungal. The pods or drumsticks are used in various cuisines and the flowers are a boon for nursing moms.
Having a moringa tree in your backyard is like growing multi-vitamins at your doorstep. Social media is a buzz with infographics telling you how moringa is more potent than your various superfoods. It gives you more calcium than milk, more vitamin C than oranges, more potassium than bananas and more iron than spinach.
From regulating blood sugar levels in diabetics to supervising hypertension, moringa is the antidote of modern sedentary lifestyle issues. It is also your answer to insomnia.
Moringa seed oil is believed to be as healthy, if not healthier, than good quality olive oil, which is brimming with anti-inflammatory and skin-healing properties.
Breather better in polluted times with moringa, also a bronchodilator. It increases airflow to the lungs by decreasing resistance in the respiratory airway.
The soup of drumstick seeds and flowers is a tried and tested aphrodisiac.
While shopping for moringa supplements, look for brands that clearly list the amount of nutrients on the label so that you know how much fibre, protein and vitamins you will get per dose.
How To Use
- The leaves are the best part of the plant because that is where you get high levels of vitamins like C,A, and B. The leaves can be cooked like spinach, or dried and used in soups, stews, smoothies or even chutneys.
- Add powdered leaves along with basil and pine nuts to make a healthy pesto.
- Add dried moringa leaf powder to cookies, bread or pizza dough to give them a healthy twist.
- Cooked leaves if taken daily for 3 weeks remove or flush out all toxins from the body. It also improves immunity.
- Mix leaf juice with lemon juice and apply it on your face for a healthy skin.
So, don’t forget to include moringa in your daily routine..!!