Chapped lips are triggered by the reduced moistness in the skin on as well as round the lips. In the majority of individuals, lips that are chapped are due to the elements of the environment. But other factors for instance repeated licking of the lips or some sort of hypersensitive reaction may also be causes. This is fairly common complaint and can be easily cured. Chapped lips are the result of the cold & windy weather. No matter how regularly we take care of our lips, we can still fall into the situation as our lips have to contact directly to the coldness, winds and sunlight.
Comparing to other skin area, the lip skin area is often thinner so it’s more vulnerable by the weather. The lips have moisture loss in 10 times as more easily as other areas do. It not only happen outdoor, being in the room that have extreme low humidity and lots of wind can also increase the risk of dry lips which cause ruptures.
Chapped or dry lips are a common problem that can be painful and unattractive. Common symptoms are dryness, redness, cracking, flaking,and tender or sore lips.
Some of the main causes are vitamin deficiency, allergic reactions, dehydration,smoking, excessive licking of lips, sun exposure and harsh weather.
There are many commercial products available to treat chapped lips. But you can save money and easily get relief with some easy to follow natural remedies.
Exfoliating dead cells off your chapped lips will help restore their natural softness faster.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar with 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply the paste to your lips and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Then use your fingers to gently rub the mixture around on your lips to loosen the dead skin cells.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Honey is great moisturizer that also has healing and antibacterial properties to treat chapped lips.
- Simply apply pure organic honey on your chapped lips several times a day.
- You can also make a paste of honey and glycerin and apply it before going to bed to enjoy softer lips in the morning.
The rose plant in your garden can also come to your rescue when suffering from chapped lips. This remedy will help your lips stay moisturized while also enhancing their beautiful color.
- Wash a handful of rose petals thoroughly in water. Soak the petals in milk for a few hours. If you have issues with dairy products, you can soak them in glycerin instead.
- Mash the rose petals into a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your dry lips two or three times a day and every night before going to bed.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help heal chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather. Simply apply pure coconut oil severe times a day on your lips to keep them moist. You can also use olive oil.
Castor oil is another good treatment for dry and chapped lips.
- Simply apply castor oil to your lips several times a day.
- You can also make a soothing treatment using one teaspoon of castor oil, one teaspoon of glycerin and a few drops of fresh lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on your lips before going to bed. In the morning, wash it off with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water. Repeat this daily until your lips are healed.
The high fat content of milk cream makes it a great natural lip moisturizer.
- Apply fresh milk cream on your lips and leave it on for 10 minutes.Then gently wash your lips with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water.
- Do this daily to help your lips heal faster.