A high LDL or bad cholestrol level is medically termed as Hypercholestrolemia. More then 1/3rd of adults are suffering from high levels of LDL. High LDL means Low-density lipoprotein which is one of the five major groups of lipoprotein. These groups from least dense to most dense. It is commonly reffered as ‘BAD’ Cholestrol.
If you want to stay healthy and keep your heart fit then it is important to control your cholestrol. LDL means bad cholestrol puts your heart at risk and also Higher LDL can also lead your heart at a much greater risk. A Healthy diet and exercise can help you in controlling your LDL levels.Eat foods that are low in saturated fat and dietary cholestrol.
You can also lower your numbers by adding some fiber and plant sterols like cholestrol lowering margarine or nuts to your diet.
Causes of Having High Levels of Cholestrol:
- Poor Diet
- Excessive Smoking
- Lack of Exercise
How To Measure Cholestrol
A lipid panel test is used to measure your total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, along with triglycerides. Following blood cholesterol levels are considered as healthy.
- Total cholesterol: It should be less than 200 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter of blood).
- LDL cholesterol: It should be less than 100 mg/dL.
- HDL cholesterol: It should be 40 mg/dL or higher.
- Triglycerides: It should be less than 150 mg/dL.
All you need is to make some changes in your diet and lifestyle and you can easily control your cholestrol.
Below is the list of some good foods that will help you in lowering your cholestrol and will keep your heart healthy:
- Orange Juice for Lower Bad Cholestrol
- Oatmeal To Control High Cholestrol Level
- Avocado To Reduce Cholestrol Levels
- Salmon To Lower Heart Attack Risk
- Olive oil To Control Bad LDL Cholestrol and also reduces the risk of developing heart disease.
- Dark Chocolate-Consume 1-2 small pieces of dark chocolate ever day.Choose dark chocolate which have 60% cocoa in it.
- Garlic as Cholestrol Lowering Food
- Soybeans and Soy related products to maintain cholestrol levels.
- Berries which reduces your risk of heart disease and cancer.